- Lenton-Brym, T., Rodrigues, …Toulany, A. (2020). A scoping review of the role of primary care providers and primary care-based interventions in the treatment of pediatric eating disorders. Brunner-Mazel Eating Disorders Monograph Series, 28(1), 47-66.
- Wade, T. D., Johnson, C., … Cook, L. (2022). Turning eating disorders screening in primary practice into treatment: A clinical practice approach. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 55(9), 1259-1263.
Key & Influential Texts
Here you will find selected key texts on adult eating disorders. Firstly, we have collated general overviews, followed by more in-depth papers and books subdivided by knowledge areas.
Reviews and Summaries
All The Basics of Eating Disorders
- Avoidant Restrictive Food Intake Disorder in Childhood and Adolescence: A clinical guide
- Bulik CM, Blake L, Austin J (2019). Genetics of eating disorders: What the clinician needs to know. Psychiatric Clinics, 42, 59-73.
- Giel KE, Bulik CM, Fernandez-Aranda F, Hay P, Keski-Rahkonen A, Schag K, Schmidt U, Zipfel S. Binge eating disorder. Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2022 Mar17;8(1):16. doi: 10.1038/s41572-022-00344-y. PMID: 35301358.
- Hilbert A, Hoek HW, & Schmidt R (2017). Evidence-based clinical guidelines for eating disorders: international comparison. Current Opinion in Psychiatry, 30, 423-437.
- Treasure J, Duarte TA, Schmidt U. Eating disorders. Lancet. 2020 Mar14;395(10227):899-911. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30059-3. PMID: 32171414.
- Treasure J, Zipfel S, Micali N, Wade T, Stice E, Claudino A, Schmidt U, Frank GK, Bulik CM, Wentz E. Anorexia nervosa. Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2015 Nov26;1:15074. doi: 10.1038/nrdp.2015.74. PMID: 27189821.
- Zipfel S, Giel KE, Bulik CM, Hay P, Schmidt U. Anorexia nervosa: aetiology, assessment, and treatment. Lancet Psychiatry. 2015 Dec;2(12):1099-111. doi:10.1016/S2215-0366(15)00356-9. Epub 2015 Oct 27. PMID: 26514083.
Interventions For Feeding Problems And Eating Disorders Across Care Pathways
- Can more people be “Happy Being Me”? Testing the delivery of a universal body satisfaction program by clinicians and school staff: Eating Disorders: Vol 30, No 2 (tandfonline.com)
- Chua, J.Y.X., Tam, W., & Shorey, S. (2020). Research Review: Effectiveness of universal eating disorder prevention interventions in improving body image among children: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines, 61(5), 522-535.
- O'Mara, M., Greene, D., … Egan, S. J. (2022). The efficacy of RCTs of guided and unguided self-help interventions for the prevention and treatment of eating disorders in young people: A systematic review and preliminary meta-analysis. Journal of Behavior Therapy & Experimental Psychiatry, 78, 101777.
- Feltner, C., Peat, C., … Jonas, D. E. (2022). Screening for Eating Disorders in Adolescents and Adults: Evidence Report and Systematic Review for the US Preventive Services Task Force. JAMA, 327(11), 1068-1082.
- Nazar, B. P., Bernardes, C., … Treasure, J. (2016). The risk of eating disorders comorbid with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: A systematic review and meta-analysis. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 49(12), 1045-1057.
- Early intervention in child and adolescent eating disorders: The role of a parenting group - Rosello - 2021 - European Eating Disorders Review - Wiley Online Library
- Effectiveness of a brief school-based body image intervention 'Dove Confident Me: Single Session' when delivered by teachers and researchers: Results from a cluster randomised controlled trial - PubMed (nih.gov)
- Karekla, M., Nikolaou, P., & Merwin, R. M. (2022). Randomized Clinical Trial Evaluating AcceptME-A Digital Gamified Acceptance and Commitment Early Intervention Program for Individuals at High Risk for Eating Disorders. Journal of Clinical Medicine, 11, 1775.
- Richards, K. L., Hyam, L., . . . Schmidt, U. (2022). National roll-out of early intervention for eating disorders: Process and clinical outcomes from first episode rapid early intervention for eating disorders. Early Intervention in Psychiatry, 17(2), 202-211.
- Pellegrini, D., Grennan, L., … Couturier, J. (2022). Virtual prevention of eating disorders in children, adolescents, and emerging adults: a scoping review. Journal of Eating Disorders, 10, 94.
- Zeiler, M., Kuso, S., … Waldherr, K. (2020). Evaluating reach, adoption, implementation and maintenance of Internet-based interventions to prevent eating disorders in adolescents: a systematic review. European Journal of Public Health, 30(1), 179-188.
- Brockmeyer, T., Friederich, H. C., & Schmidt, U. (2018). Advances in the treatment of anorexia nervosa: a review of established and emerging interventions. Psychological Medicine, 48(8), 1228-1256.
- Monteleone, A. M., Pellegrino, F., . . . Solmi, M. (2022). Treatment of eating disorders: A systematic meta-review of meta-analyses and network meta-analyses. Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews, 142, 104857.
- Baudinet, J., & Simic, M. (2021). Adolescent Eating Disorder Day Programme Treatment Models and Outcomes: A Systematic Scoping Review. Frontiers in Psychiatry, 12, 652604.
- Hay, P. J., Touyz, S., … Madden, S. (2019). Inpatient versus outpatient care, partial hospitalisation and waiting list for people with eating disorders. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 1, CD010827.
- Isserlin, L., Spettigue, W., … Couturier, J. (2020). Outcomes of inpatient psychological treatments for children and adolescents with eating disorders at time of discharge: a systematic review. Journal of Eating Disorders, 8, 32.
- Madden, S., Hay, P., & Touyz, S. (2015). Systematic review of evidence for different treatment settings in anorexia nervosa. World Journal of Psychiatry, 5(1), 147-153.
- Garber, A. K., Sawyer, S. M., . . . Redgrave, G. W. (2016). A systematic review of approaches to refeeding in patients with anorexia nervosa. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 49(3), 293-310.
- Hindley, K., Fenton, C., & McIntosh, J. (2021). A systematic review of enteral feeding by nasogastric tube in young people with eating disorders. Journal of Eating Disorders, 9, 90.
- Couturier, J., Isserlin, L., … Norris, M. (2019). Psychotropic medication for children and adolescents with eating disorders. Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics, 28(4), 583-592.
- Himmerich, H., Kan, C., … Treasure, J. (2021). Pharmacological treatment of eating disorders, comorbid mental health problems, malnutrition and physical health consequences. Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 217, 107667.
Transition (to adult services)
- Wales, J., Brewin, N., … Eivors, A. (2022). Transitioning services for eating disorder treatment, the relative importance of factors from patient, carer and clinician perspectives: A Q-methodology study. Mental Health Review Journal, 27(2), 226-237.
- Winston, A. P., Child, S., … Paul, M. (2022). Management of transitions to adult services for young people with eating disorders: survey of current practice in England. Bjpsych Bulletin, 47, 17-22
The Underlying Science Of Feeding Problems And Eating Disorders
Epidemiology & Comorbidity
- Galmiche, M., Dechelotte, P., Lambert, G., & Tavolacci, M. P. (2019). Prevalence of eating disorders over the 2000-2018 period: a systematic literature review. Am J Clin Nutr, 109(5), 1402-1413. doi:10.1093/ajcn/nqy342
- Hoek, H. W. (2016). Review of the worldwide epidemiology of eating disorders. Current opinion in psychiatry, 29(6), 336-339.
- Momen, N. C., Plana‐Ripoll, O., … Petersen, L. V. (2022). Comorbidity between eating disorders and psychiatric disorders. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 55(4), 505-517.
- Root TL, Pinheiro AP, Thorton L, Strober M, Fernandez-Aranda F, Brandt H, Crawford S, Fichter MM, Halmi KA, Johnson C, Kaplan AS, Klump KL, La Via M, Mitchell J, Woodside DB, Rotondo A, Berrettini WH, Kaye WH, Bulik C. Substance use in women with anorexia nervosa. International Journal of Eating Disorders 2010; 43: 14–21.
- van Hoeken, D., & Hoek, H. W. (2020). Review of the burden of eating disorders: mortality, disability, costs, quality of life, and family burden. Current opinion in psychiatry, 33(6), 521
- Bulik CM, Blake L, Austin J. Genetics of Eating Disorders: What the Clinician Needs to Know. Psychiatr Clin North Am. 2019 Mar;42(1):59-73. doi: 10.1016/j.psc.2018.10.007. PMID: 30704640.
- Culbert, K. M., Racine, S. E., & Klump, K. L. (2015). Research review: What we have learned about the causes of eating disorders–a synthesis of sociocultural, psychological, and biological research. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines 56(11), 1141-1164.
- Jacobi, C., Hayward, C., de Zwaan, M., Kraemer, H. C., & Agras, W. S. (2004). Coming to terms with risk factors for eating disorders: application of risk terminology and suggestions for a general taxonomy. Psychological bulletin, 130(1), 19.
- Larsen, J. T., Munk-Olsen, T., Bulik, C. M., Thornton, L. M., Koch, S. V., Mortensen, P. B., & Petersen, L. (2017). Early childhood adversities and risk of eating disorders in women: A Danish\ register-based cohort study. Int J Eat Disord\, 50\(12\), 1404-1412\. doi:10.1002/eat.22798.
- Peebles, R., & Sieke, E. H. (2019). Medical complications of eating disorders in youth. Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics, 28(4), 593-615
- Smith, G. T., & Davis, H. A. (2015). Commentary: An exemplar of progress in understanding complex disorders–reflections on what we have learned about eating disorders. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines 56(11), 1165-1167.
- Stice, E., Onipede, Z. A., & Marti, C. N. (2021). A meta-analytic review of trials that tested whether eating disorder prevention programs prevent eating disorder onset. Clinical psychology review, 87, 102046.
Medical Risk & Complications
- Arcelus J, Mitchell AJ, Wales J, et al (2011) Mortality rates in patients with anorexia nervosa and other eating disorders. A meta-analysis of 36 studies. Archives of General Psychiatry, 68: 724–31.
- Peebles, R., & Sieke, E. H. (2019). Medical complications of eating disorders in youth. Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics, 28(4), 593-615.
- RCPsych (2022) MEED: Medical emergencies in eating disorders: Guidance on recognition and management. Royal College of Psychiatrists, College report CR233.
- Robinson P, Jones WR (2018) MARSIPAN: Management of Seriously Ill Patients with Anorexia Nervosa. BJPsych Advances; 24(1): pp. 20-32.
- Winston AP. The clinical biochemistry of anorexia nervosa. Ann Clin Biochem. 2012 Mar;49(Pt 2):132-43. doi: 10.1258/acb.2011.011185. Epub 2012 Feb 20. PMID: 22349551.
Measures, Treatment & Outcomes
- Bardone-Cone, A. M., Hunt, R. A., & Watson, H. J. (2018). An overview of conceptualizations of eating disorder recovery, recent findings, and future directions. Current Psychiatry Reports, 20(9), 79
- Bryant-Waugh, R., Loome, R., Munuve, A., Rhind, C., Towards an evidence-based out-patient care pathway for children and young people with avoidant restrictive food intake disorder
- Bryant-Waugh, R., & Higgins, C. (2020). Avoidant restrictive food intake disorder in childhood and adolescence: A clinical guide. Routledge.
- Byrne SM, Wade T, Hay P, Touyz S, Fairburn CG, Treasure M, Schmidt U, McIntosuh V, Allen KL, Fursland A, Crosby RD (2017). A randomised controlled trial of three psychological treatments for anorexia nervosa. Psychological Medicine, 29, 1-11.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder (CBT-AR): Patient and Family Workbook. Based on this book: Thomas, J.J. and Eddy, K.T. (2019). Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder: Children, Adolescents, & Adults. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
- Fairburn CG, Cooper Z, & Shafran R (2003). Cognitive behaviour therapy for eating disorders: A “transdiagnostic” theory and treatment. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 41, 509-528.
- Featured resources - MCCAED (slam.nhs.uk)
- Flynn M, Austin A, Lang K, Allen K, Bassi R, Brady G, Brown A, Connan F, Franklin‐Smith M, Glennon D, Grant N, Jones WR, Kali K, Koskina A, Mahony K, Mountford V, Nunes N, Schelhase M, Serpell L, Schmidt U (2020) Assessing the impact of First Episode Rapid Early Intervention for Eating Disorders on duration of untreated eating disorder: A multi‐centre quasi‐experimental study. Eur Eat Disorders Rev. https://doi.org/10.1002/erv.2797
- Murray, S. B., Loeb, K. L., & Le Grange, D. (2018). Treatment outcome reporting in anorexia nervosa: time for a paradigm shift? Journal of Eating Disorders, 6, 1-3.
- Tan J., Richards L. (2015) Legal and Ethical Issues in the Treatment of Really Sick Patients with Anorexia Nervosa. In: Robinson P., Nicholls D. (eds) Critical Care for Anorexia Nervosa. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-08174-8_6
- Treasure, J. & Schmidt, U. (2013). The cognitive interpersonal maintenance model of AN revisited: a summary of the evidence for cognitive, socio-emotional and interpersonal predisposing and perpetuating factors. Journal of Eating Disorders, 1:13.
- Westmoreland P, Parks L, Lohse K, Mehler P. Severe and Enduring Anorexia Nervosa and Futility: A Time for Every Purpose? Psychiatr Clin North Am. 2021 Dec;44(4):603-611. doi: 10.1016/j.psc.2021.08.003. PMID: 34763793.
Intensive Treatment for Eating Disorders
- Baudinet, J., Simic, M. (2021). Adolescent Eating Disorder Day Programme Treatment Models and Outcomes: A Systematic Scoping Review Frontiers in Psychiatry
- Madden, S., Miskovic-Wheatley, ... Touyz, S. (2015). A randomized controlled trial of in-patient treatment for anorexia nervosa in medically unstable adolescents. Psychological Medicine, 45(2), 415-427.
- Kan C, Hawkings YR, Cribben H, Treasure J. Length of stay for anorexia nervosa: Systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur Eat Disord Rev. 2021 May;29(3):371-392. doi: 10.1002/erv.2820. Epub 2021 Feb 6. PMID: 33548148.
- Rizzo, S. M., Douglas, J. W., & Lawrence, J. C. (2019). enteral nutrition via nasogastric tube for refeeding patients with anorexia nervosa: A systematic review. Nutrition in Clinical Practice, 34(3), 359-370.
Treatment Predictors, Moderators & Mediators
- Hamadi, L., & Holliday, J. (2020). Moderators and mediators of outcome in treatments for anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa in adolescents: A systematic review of randomized controlled trials. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 53(1), 3-19.
- Gregertsen, E. C., Mandy, W., … Serpell, L. (2019). Pre-treatment patient characteristics as predictors of drop-out and treatment outcome in individual and family therapy for adolescents and adults with anorexia nervosa: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Psychiatry Research, 271, 484-501.
- Wade TD, Allen KL, Crosby RD, Fursland A, Hay P, McIntosh V, Touyz S, Schmidt U, Treasure J, Byrne SM (2021). Outpatient therapy for adult anorexia nervosa: Early weight gain trajectories and outcome. European Eating Disorder Review, 29, 472-481.
Service Models and Implementation, Public Health/Mental Health
- Allen KL, Mountford V, Brown A, Richards K, Grant N, Austin A, Glennon D, Schmidt U (2020). First episode rapid early intervention for eating disorders (FREED): From research to routine clinical practice. Early Intervention Psychiatry, 14, 625-630.
- Eisler, I., Simic, M., Fonagy, P., & Bryant-Waugh, R. (2022). Implementing service transformation for children and adolescents with eating disorders across England: the theory, politics, and pragmatics of large-scale service reform. Journal of Eating Disorders, 10(1), 1-15.
- Maguire, S., & Maloney, D. (2021). The implementation of large-scale health system reform in identification, access and treatment of eating disorders in Australia. Journal of Eating Disorders, 9(1), 1-12.
This document provides general information and discussions about health and related subjects. The information and other content provided in this document, or in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice, nor is the information a substitute for professional medical expertise or treatment.
If you or any other person has a medical concern, you should consult with your healthcare provider or seek other professional medical treatment. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something that you have read in this document or in any linked materials. If you think you may have an emergency, call an appropriate source of help and support such as your doctor or emergency services immediately.
MindEd is created by a group of organisations and is funded by NHS England, the Department of Health and Social Care and the Department for Education.
© 2023 NHS England, MindEd Programme